Published by The Law Project of the Chicago Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, with pro bono assistance from Paul Hastings, LLP, 2015.
Most Important Considerations When Starting and Operating a Small Business – Topics include: Choosing Appropriate Business Entity, Formalizing Contracts and more. Conducted by: Angie Hall, TLP Staff Attorney and Tom Shannon, Shannon Law Offices. Hosted by Illinois Legal Aid Online.
Legal Steps to Starting a Small Business in Illinois – Topics covered include: Choosing Legal Entities, Choosing the Right Insurance and more. Conducted by: Dan Cotter, Korey Cotter Heather & Richardson. Hosted by Illinois Legal Aid Online.
The Law Project often works alongside other organizations to provide support for small businesses. The organizations listed below provide useful resources.
- The Chicago Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law INWIN Project has partnered with ACCION, The City of Gary, and Indiana Small Business Development Centers to provide small business services for Northwest Indiana. The program flyer is located in the link above.
- The Illinois Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at the Duman Microenterprise Center provides one-on-one counseling at no charge for start-ups and pre-existing small businesses in the Chicago metropolitan area. The Center offers entrepreneurial training, business assistance, mentoring and access to capital.
- ACCION Chicago is a small business lender, dedicated to providing financing and business education to small businesses.
- WBDC delivers business services and financial assistance to empower women towards entrepreneurship and economic self-sufficiency.
- SCORE serves small businesses by providing free business counseling, management consulting, and low cost workshops.
- Chicago’s Department of Business Affairs provides resources and information for businesses operating in the city.
- The Illinois Small Business Development Center provides Management Assistance, one on one Counseling and specialized training workshops, to new and emerging businesses.
Jules F. Knapp Entrepreneurship Center offers a wide variety of supportive services for startup and existing small businesses located in and around Illinois Institute of Technology.